Travelling abroad


If you travelling outside of the US in your first year, make sure to call Cultural Care operations to check the deadlines and further information.

Before traveling internationally the au pair needs to make sure that the visa in her passport has not expired.  The au pair’s DS-2019 form must be signed by an Alternate Responsible Officer from the Cultural Care office in Cambridge.  The DS-2019 form (also referred to as Certificate of Eligibility for the J-1 visa) is the letter-sized white piece of paper that contains the biographical information of the au pair.  Au Pairs do not need to send their passport or I-94 card to be signed for travel.  Au pairs must send in their DS-2019 form 3-4 weeks before their travel date and must include the following information:

  •  Destination country
  • Date of departure
  • Date of return
  • All countries being entered/exited during trip  (this includes cruises visiting multiple countries)


When you extend Cultural Care will send you a new DS-2019, but that doesn’t renew our J1 visa. You only need to renew the J1 if you want to travel outside of the US during your extension period.
Once the request has been submitted, it can take 30-40 days for the Department of State to approve the extension. Cultural Care has no control over the time it takes the Department of State to approve extension requests, nor can we expedite extension approvals. Cultural Care can only print a new DS-2019 form once the Department of State has approved the extension request. Cultural Care advises au pairs not to make travel plans or an appointment to renew the J-1 visa until their extension request has been approved. Because most au pairs take classes that continue through the 11th month of the 1st year, the majority of au pairs who extend will not have their extension request submitted until 30 days prior to the end of the 1st year. Thus most au pairs may not have their extensions approved until directly before the start of their extension program. New DS-2019 forms are mailed to the au pair approximately one week prior to the start of the extension, along with a new insurance card.If an au pair wishes to travel to his/her home country to apply for a new J-1 visa prior to the start of the extension program, he/she should contact Cultural Care to discuss whether this will be possible. Cultural Care cannot request extensions early if the proper documentation has not been received, nor can we guarantee a specific date when an extension will be approved. Au pairs who have questions regarding travel and the extension program should contact the Au Pair Services Department at Cultural Care.Travel and Renewing the J-1 VisaExtension au pairs will receive a new DS-2019 Form for their extension term. Their progam is extended and they are legally in the US to work as an au pair for another 6, 9 or 12 months.They will not automatically receive a new J1 visa for their extension term. They will have to apply for it at the US Embassy in their home country. But they do not need a new J1 visa for their extension term to extend.If you have any questions concerning this information, please call Cultural Care Au Pair Operations at 1-800-448-5753 or email us ataupair.operations@culturalcare.comTravel advisory for second year extension au pairs and host families
  • International travel to countries other than an extension au pair’s home country is limited unless the extension au pair completes the J-1 visa renewal process in her/his home country first. If an au pair fails to complete the J-1 visa renewal process before traveling internationally to a country other than her/his home country, she/he will most likely be denied reentry to the United States. An exception for this requirement exists for Canada, Mexico and adjacent islands. Please see the section below on travel to those countries.
Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean in the second year
Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean (except Cuba) for fewer than thirty days is allowed, even with an expired J-1 visa in your passport. This is known as “visa revalidation.” The following conditions must apply in order for you to travel to these countries

Monday, 12 August 2013 5:42 PM


Leave a reply